What can I do if I disagree with the Assessed Value or Taxable Value placed on my property?

Check the records of the Assessing Office or on the Assessor's website concerning your appraisal to make sure they are correct. If you disagree with the assessment, you should talk with the Assessor about the valuation of your property. If you are still not satisfied with the valuation and wish to proceed with filing an appeal, you will need to schedule an appointment to appear before the March Board of Review. Please call the Assessor's Office at 269-781-5183 to schedule an appointment. The March Board of Review has jurisdiction on valuation appeals for the current year only. You may not (by state law) dispute prior year valuation at the March Board of Review. Once the March Board of Review closes its public meeting, the assessment roll is closed and certified. No further changes can be made except those allowed by state law, i.e. clerical error, mutual mistake of fact, qualified error, or Principal Residence Exemption/Homestead corrections, Michigan Tax Tribunal or State Tax Commission judgments.

Show All Answers

1. Can I view my property and tax information, and pay my tax bill online?
2. Where is your office located?
3. What is the difference between the Assessed Value and Taxable Value of my home?
4. How is my Assessed Value calculated?
5. How is my Taxable Value calculated?
6. I just purchased my home. Shouldn't the assessed value be half of what I paid?
7. I recently purchased a home. Will my taxes on this property be about the same amount as the prior owner's taxes?
8. My neighbor and I have very similar homes. Why is my tax bill higher than theirs?
9. Why did my taxes go up so much this year?
10. What can I do if I disagree with the Assessed Value or Taxable Value placed on my property?
11. What if I am not satisfied with the Board of Review's decision on my appeal?
12. Do I need to notify the Assessing Department if I'm moving?
13. How do I change my name on my City of Marshall accounts?
14. Does the City calculate tax prorations?